Andrew Marcey Obituary, St John’s College High School Student has passed away

Andrew Marcey Obituary, Death – Andrew Marcey has sadly passed away. Andrew Marcey was a student of t John’s College High School in Washington. The circumstances surrounding the actual death of the deceased have not been made public at the time of this publication. Andrew Marcey’s death has left friends, family, and loved ones devasted and shocked. Andrew Marcey was famous for his generosity and he never put his own needs ahead of others. He made a significant difference in the lives of so many people and altered the paths of so many people’s lives as a result of his influence.

About St John’s College High School

Brother John of Mary, F.S.C., and two other Christian Brothers founded St. John’s College for young men in St. Matthew’s parish at 15th and G Streets NW. The three men had worked as professors at Baltimore’s Calvert Hall College since it opened its doors in 1845. Due to a lack of space, the Brothers moved the school to Carroll Hall at 10th and G Streets NW in 1866 at Father Walter’s invitation. Father Charles White, who had established St. Matthew’s Institute near the intersection of 16th and L Streets NW, asked the Brothers to return to St. Matthew’s parish in 1868.

General Montgomery C. Meigs’ estate sold the Brothers the land at 1225 Vermont Avenue NW in 1878 so they could build a new school there. The building’s construction started in August of that year. Initially known as St. John’s Collegiate Institute, it finally adopted the name St. John’s College in 1887. The college was established in accordance with District of Columbia law the same year and given the authority to award the academic degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts.¬† Two Bachelor of Arts, four Bachelor of Science, and three Master of Arts degrees were awarded to graduates at commencement on June 26, 1888.

The Board of Trustees of St. John’s chose to end the college department and only use the school’s buildings for secondary education in 1921 as The Catholic University of America and Georgetown University’s undergraduate programs grew.¬†While this was going on, St. John’s opened a school of trade and finance at 13th and Massachusetts Avenue NW, becoming a pioneer in the field of business education. The annex building, which houses the gym, swimming pool, and freshmen classes, was constructed three years after the college department was abolished.

For the following thirty years, St. John’s expanded until it became clear that the facilities on Vermont Avenue were insufficient. The Brothers purchased the current campus bordered by Rock Creek Park with plans for further growth. This acreage, together with the mansion that is situated there, offered enough room for the freshman classrooms and sporting events. The Brothers made the decision to construct a new school on the Military Road Campus when the Vermont Avenue facilities started to lose their utility. In September 1959, the new St. John’s welcomed over a thousand students. The school changed its status to a co-educational, military-optional institution in 1991.

In 1977, a man entered the cafeteria, joined the lunch line while sporting a blue parka with a fur-lined hood, and attempted to rob the cashier. William McGregor, the director of business at the school, challenged the suspect; as a result, the police say he was shot in the face, right leg, right arm, and below his right ear during the struggle. While making his getaway, the suspect shot a student in the shoulder as he left the facility.

 

Andrew Marcey Obituary, Death – Andrew Marcey has sadly passed away. Andrew Marcey was a student of t John’s College High School in Washington. The circumstances surrounding the actual death of the deceased have not been made public at the time of this publication. Andrew Marcey’s death has left friends, family, and loved ones devasted…